Friday, August 04, 2006

Day 2- The Music Begins


7am-- The alarm goes off, the sun had been up for a while, but we all missed it's entrance, and Ben gets up to takes a shower. After his shower, Ben informs us that is hair is now too long to put in a mohawk. By 9am, we have had our coffee and breakfast, and we are on Hwy. 45 heading south. The drive to Grant Park is very easy; straight down Hwy. 45, east on I-290, left on Columbus Drive. We parked in an underground parking "tower." It was about 10:30am when we arrived at the Lollapalooza front gate, we are near the front of the line. The sun was harshly beating down on us. Fourty-five minutes of the intense heat dehydrated Nancy. I saw that she was pale and her lips were white, so we got out of line and I carried/drug her to a shady spot. The shady spots, by the way, are actually have a very noticable difference in temperature. So, we sit down, she drinks nearly a liter of water while I fan her down. Thirty minutes pass and color begins to come back into her face. So, we enter the park, and the music begins...

This is the list of bands I saw today:
☆Deadboy and The Elephantmen☆Aqualung☆eels☆Jeremy Enigk☆Umphrey's McGee☆The Raconteurs☆Violent Femmes☆and Ween

Highlights from the day:
  • I talked to Dax Riggs, he was happy to see someone from Lafayette. Well, about as happy as Dax can probably get.
  • The guy in the security shirt that stood on stage and randomly played an instrument of his choosing(sometime the guitar player's guitar), and said weird, random, positive one-liners(he was a very negative looking person, he never smiled) would, also, jump into the audience and do whatever the band members told him to do.
  • We took a nap under a canopy of trees while listening to Jeremy Enigk. It feels like the A/C is on when you are in the shade and there is a breeze. It's probably near mid to upper seventies in the shade. Very nice.
  • I was completely impressed with Umphrey's McGee. I will probably be returning home with one of their cds.
  • The Violent Femmes. Enough said. I love them now, because like the pixies, they are old and look very conservative, but rock out harder than everybody else. Everybody loved them.
  • Ween. They are amazing. It was nighttime by then, which made their light show so awesome. Nancy and I sat on top of a hill, laid out a blanket and watched from there. Then, at the end of the night, fireworks went off. The city skyline was lit and beautiful. The day in it's self was worth the money spent.

    It was a very good day. Beautiful weather, beautiful skyline, excellent music, and a big fireworks display at the end of the night. What could be better? Also, I called the car rental place, where I thought I had left my licence, they did have it! So, thanks to Mrs. Cathy, I am having it overnighted to my hotel. We are all in good health now and we can't wait until tomorrow, stay tuned.
    Haven't read other Lollapalooza posts?
    Day 0 Day 1 Day 2 Update Day 3 Day 4 Day 5 LollapaIllustrated
  • 5 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    nancy, you weenie! Drink LOTS of water! Where's your bandana?

    -Glad evereything's working out.

    Rock steady,

    Denny

    5:26 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Cool to see da Femmes. I have them on vinyl you know. I was a freshman in high school. You can guess the year all by yourself.

    Later,

    Amy

    7:48 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Haha, I'm sorry? lol I was fine...I thought I was fine, until I bent down for a minute, then came up and practically fell over on Tim. Thank God he was there to catch me! lol It was all so sudden.

    10:13 PM  
    Blogger Tim Stark said...

    I couldn't really tell if you looked ok or not. You weren't really acting out of the ordinary. Then I noticed your lips were white, and when I asked you if you were ok, you said, "No." and you grabbed on to my shirt. I'm so glad it was just a faint and not heat stroke.

    And I am sorry to bother you with all of those "Are you ok?" questions after all of that, but I really wanted to know if you were ok. I know that it is in your nature to want to please the people you are around you, even if it means self-sacrifice. I love you for that, you are very important to me. A music festival does not even compare to your life. I just really needed to know that you were ok, and feeling your best.

    12:06 PM  
    Blogger Tim Stark said...

    Amy,
    Yes, they came out in 1981, it just so happened to be the same year I came out, too. They are 25 years old.

    12:08 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home